Sunday, May 23, 2010

Lynnhaven Inlet fishing on May 22nd








I hit the water inside Lynnhaven Inlet around noon on Saturday, May 22nd about 1/2 hour after the incoming tide began. I prefer the outgoing tide, but I would have needed to get up at 3am (not going to happen on a Saturday) or wait until 6 pm. Bright and sunny and about 75 degrees...without sunblock (after the day was over, I realized it was no more than one foot away from me all day!). The mission today was to explore the huge inlet and see if the redfish had moved in yet and maybe catch a few flounder and croaker. Used fishbites (Artificial bloodworms and squid) and all the traditional artificial lures for the redfish. It took 3 hours to get my first fish...a small spot which is pretty rare this time of year. The redfish haven't moved in yet, but I found some great spots I will definitely revisit when they move in soon. The one pic of the kayak was a little sandbar I found at low-mid tide where I sat and ate my lunch and fished from the sand a while. That's the kinda stuff that makes fishing the inlet so much fun. No kayaks or boats in sight.

Loaded the kayak in the truck at 4:30 and met my brother and nephew at the ramp to fish off the beach under the Lesner Bridge. We caught about 6 flounder with my brother catching the biggest at 19"!!! That's huge for a flounder and even bigger for surf casting off the beach. We caught all of them from 6:30-7:30 just as the outgoing tide began. We packed it up around 11:30pm. Yes, that is nearly a 12 hour fishing day for me. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment